Work in Australia

Want to find out if you can use your skills and work experience to migrate to Australia? Immigro can help you find the answer! We specialise in assisting people coming into Australia get their work skills recognised for employment in your profession in Australia. There are several options available to those seeking to work in or migrate on a skills basis to Australia - read on to learn more about the visa that applies to you!

Work - Skilled (Permanent)

Skilled visas (Permanent)

Are you looking to move to Australia permanently? You may have valuable skills and experience that would benefit the Australian economy. If so, you may be eligible for the General Skilled Migration Program. This program is invitation-based, which means you must be invited by the Department of Home Affairs before being able to apply. Under this program, you can express an interest in permanent residency on the basis that you possess skills and work experience that the Australian economy needs. There are two visa categories that you can apply for permanent residency under.

The Skilled Independent  and Skilled Nominated visas both allow workers nominated or invited by the Australian government to live and work permanently in Australia. Under these visas, you may also sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence. To fulfil the general eligibility requirements for these visas, you must:

  • have an occupation on the relevant skilled list
  • have a suitable skills assessment
  • satisfy the points test score
  • meet health and character requirements.

You must have a successful Skills Assessment to qualify for these visas. You may also be required to demonstrate a relevant standard of English proficiency.

Work - Skilled (Provisional)

Regional Skilled visas (Provisional)

If you are happy to work in regional Australia and are looking to qualify for permanent residence but don’t yet meet the requirements for a successful permanent visa application, you could consider the Regional Provisional Skilled visa.

The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa allows skilled people nominated by a state or territory government to live and work in regional Australia. Under this visa, you can live and work in regional Australia for up to 5 years. Generally, you must:

  • be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency, or an eligible relative must sponsor you
  • have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
  • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
  • meet health and character requirements.

There is also a permanent residency pathway available to Regional Skilled visa holders that meet the relevant criteria.

Work - Temporary Skills Shortage

Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa

If you have skills and experience in a high-demand field and you're looking for temporary work in Australia, an alternative application pathway is available to you! The Temporary Skill Shortage visa allows an Australian employer to sponsor a suitably skilled worker to fill a position they can’t find a suitably skilled Australian to fill. Under this visa, you can live and work in Australia for up to 2 years (or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation applies). In order to apply for this visa, you must:

  • be sponsored by your proposed employer
  • be working in your nominated occupation
  • have relevant skills, qualifications and employment background to perform occupation
  • have a positive skills assessment
  • meet health and character requirements
  • have worked in your nominated occupation or a related field for at least 2 years.

You do not have to be in Australia at the time of application for this visa. If you are in Australia, you must hold an eligible substantive visa or one of the following: bridging visa A, bridging visa B, or bridging visa C.